Translate

Tuesday 27 February 2018

The Hazel wood book review

The Hazel wood is about 17 year old Alice. All her life Alice and her mum have been running from the bad luck that haunts them. Alice's grandmother is an reclusive author who wrote a fairy tale book. They received a letter saying that she is dead and soon after her mum has been kidnapped.

I had received this book from my fairyloot subscription for February. I was intrigued by the book and its plot and read started the day i got it as i had heard good things about this book.
I enjoyed the start of the first half of the book. I enjoyed the Melissa Albert's writing. Alice and her mum have a more sister relationship then mother and daughter. They are very close which was cute and needed due to their consent travelling and sleeping in the same room/car.

I liked Finch even though he was a bit of a hipster stereotype. He has a Vonnegut quote tattoo and has his own library in his bedroom(suite). He was the only person of colour in the book and was described as unattractive.

The road trip was good. It was creepy and built up Alice and Finch's relationship and trust especially as he is a fan boy of her aunt which she has always be warned against trusting by her mum.
Once Alice had reached the halfway woods  i was bored by the book. I decided to carry on as i loved the start and wanted to know how it finished.
I was confused when she got to the hazel wood and then started to skim read the book.

3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favourite book covers

I was rearranging my bookshelf and was looking at my covers and it gave me an idea of doing a post on my favourite book covers, these video...